Monday, February 7, 2011

Half Way!

I’m officially 20 weeks and 3 days along in my pregnancy, so half way there (unless Bean decides to come earlier or later)!  We went for the 20 week ultrasound this past Thursday, and everything (according to the tech) looked normal and good.  We also found out gender, and surprised my parents on Saturday with this:

DSCF0050 From the moment they opened the cake box, my mom blurted out, “It’s a girl!”  She saw lots of pink, and even though there’s yellow and blue represented as well, she just kept saying it had to be a girl.  So, I had my dad cut into it to reveal if my mom was correct, and it’s officially a…

gender cake blog pic My mom’s response was classic…  As soon as she saw that blue icing, she yells out, “Oh S%#*T!”.  LOL – classic and typical response from my mom.  She wanted a granddaughter I guess, mainly she said because she “doesn’t want to get peed on!”, but I don’t think she really minds.  My dad didn’t have a preference either way, but he said he was hoping it was a girl for my sake, because he knew I wanted a girl, and I’m into dance and baton twirling and all things girly.  But I think he’s happy to have a grandson.  He was along the day we went to Babies R Us to add some stuff to the registry, which was before we knew the gender, and he saw a bib that had a car on it and said “Lil Dude”, which he decided that if we were having a boy, he was just going to have to get that bib.  Well, according to my mom, after he found out it was a boy, he continued to talk to her about going for that bib!   :)   Not sure if it really was purchased yet or not, but I see a Lil Dude in my future!   :)

As for hubby and I, as I mentioned before we both wanted a girl because I know a little more about dealing with girls and such, and he liked the fact that he could rely on my knowledge of girls.  But from the very beginning, as I stated before, I just knew it was going to be a boy, even though he thought girl because of a dream he had.  I later had a dream that reaffirmed boy to me – we were eating dinner and Bean was a little older, old enough to eat a bowl of peas on his own.  All of a sudden he decides to smush his face down into the bowl of peas, and the dream ended.  Bean was not wearing anything but a diaper during this dream, and there was no indication otherwise that it was a boy, but in the dream I just knew he was a he!  So, hubby feels a little bad about being wrong I think, but I just knew it all along.  Did I want a girl?  Yes.  Am I disappointed it’s a boy?  Not really.  If I had my heart set on girl and thought that all along, I might feel that way, but I’m just happy now and can’t wait to meet him!  Hubby even said Bean was allowed to dance and twirl baton if it’s something he really wanted to try of his own free will.  Maybe we will still have a little tap dancer in our future anyway!   ;)

The tech took all the measurements, and really walked us through what she was looking at.  We saw his brain, kidneys, stomach, liver (I think?), mouth and nose, arms and legs, little feet, and of course his heart, which was beating at 156 bpm – everything looked normal.  She said I have an anterior placenta, which explains my lack of feeling big movement yet, especially coupled with the fact that I have some extra padding to begin with.  I swear I felt something around Christmas, but not much at all.  The days leading up to my US, I felt some more, but it felt very faint, and I would feel it in 2 different spots, so I really wasn’t sure what was going on.  Turns out the twitches I was feeling higher to the side of my belly button are kicks and the twitches lower beneath my belly button are punches.  Bean’s head seemed to be way down low in my pelvic area, and he’s sort of diagonally upside down in there with his feet on the left side of my belly button area.  Let’s hope he stays that direction and doesn’t turn around to breech!  She said he weighs approximately 11 ounces now, which from things I read is right along where he should be.  I am really hoping he grows big enough, but I also am hoping not too big because I really don’t want to have to go through a C-section for that particular reason.

20 week US 001 You can see his spine just below the word “stomach”, but unfortunately he was laying sideways, so we were basically seeing the front of his face, which on these scans doesn’t show much detail.  She tried to get him to roll over so she could get a side view/profile picture, but he just wouldn’t cooperate there.  At least he cooperated here:

Bean's gender 001 

Definitely a boy!

It’s fun adding stuff to the registry now that we know what he is, but we are still sticking to some neutral things, for a day that #2 may come along, and might be the opposite.  We did buy a few things already, which set the theme for the nursery.  More to come on that in another post though!

1 comment:

  1. Awww. Congratulations again! Little boys are the BEST! :) I was sure we were having a girl, but I'm THRILLED with our baby boy. He's a total mama's boy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading - happy to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails